Add this to your pool of virtual business development ideas: follow-up!
We know, it’s a lot to ask. Your time is valuable. But the truth is, if you spend 15-30 minutes a week following up with leads, you are bridging the gap and reinforcing the connection.
Ingenuity Marketing principal Dawn Wagenaar is the queen of virtual business development ideas. She attends the conferences, schedules the coffee dates and makes time for her clients – and leads – and ensures everyone is on the same page.
Her advice: make time for your leads. Then they’ll make time for you.
If you prefer to read this content, the video transcript is below.
One of things I hear most often from prospects is “Dawn, you are always so good about following up!” It seems so simple but, I can’t tell you how many coaching calls I have been on with partners and managers and they have not done the follow-up that was needed. I even hear this in in pipeline meetings.
If you don’t follow up, you are leaving to chance your opportunity to win the sale.
You have to do the work in order to get the results. Here are five tips that will help you with your follow up.
1. Put time on your calendar – even 15 to 30 minutes a week will improve your chances at new business.
2. Shut your office door so there are no interruptions. If you don’t have an office, find a quiet space with no interruptions.
3. If you ask a client when you should follow up and they tell you an exact date, be sure to follow through on the date given.
4. Start developing a personal relationship – ask how they are doing, or bring up a personal detail or work-related question to get to know them better. This makes them want to get to know you, which in turn builds the relationship.
5. Don’t be afraid to pick up the phone. More than likely you will be leaving a voicemail anyway, but they will hear your voice and interest.
I know this takes time, but it is not as much time as you think. It shows the prospects that you care and that you want them as a client.
Do you want more leads? I am offering a digital audit analysis for a limited time that will help you attract more business. Just click the link below!